I would like to share with you guys this very renowned recipe of Bicolanos and this is their signature food. If you will hear this recipe, the very first thing that will pop-up in your mind is spice. This recipe is bicolanos pride, although nowadays there had been lot of changes on the ingredients of this cuisine because most of pinoys from other provinces are also cooking this recipe in a different twist. However, whatever kind of preparation and procedures they prefer, it will still end in Bicol Express’ feature as spicy.
Now let us start the way this food is prepared. This recipe have a little twist on ingredients, but don’t worry we will post here some other time the original bicolano recipe. I listed below some of the ingredients for the recipe. Prepare your chopping board and the knife to spread the spice on the pan.
Bicol Express Recipe:
You will spend approximately 1 hour for this recipe
Estimated preparation time: 30 minutes
Estimated cooking time: 30 minutes
Bicol Express Ingredients:
To cook bicol express, you will need the following:
• 1/4 kilo pork, (thinly sliced) you can choose either pure meat or with little bones
• 1 cup Baguio beans
• 3 cups long chili or add some siling labuyo
• 1 head of garlic, minced
• 1 onion, minced
• 1 cup coconut cream (kakang gata)
• 1 cup coconut milk (2nd base of kakang gata with addded water)
• 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
• Salt to taste
Bicol Express Cooking Instructions:
1. In a bowl of water with salt, soak chili peppers for 30 minutes then rinse and strain.
2. In a cooking pan, heat cooking oil and brown sliced pork for a few minutes.
3. In another pan, sauté minced garlic and onion.
4. Add to the sauté the browned pork.
5. Then add the coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the chili peppers, Baguio beans and cook until dish gets a little dry.
7. Add the coconut cream and simmer until the sauce thickens.
8. Salt to taste.
9. Serve hot, and enjoy the Bicol Express with plain rice.