Beef Afritada is one of the known Filipino recipes and mostly cooked during special occasions. There are varieties of ingredients used by many for interesting blend of taste. It is similar to other Filipino dish such as Kaldereta and Menudo as they are all using a tomato paste as a base.
Basic ingredients involve Potato, carrot, and tomato. But Bay leaf is the added ingredient that differs from Menudo and Kaldereta. The only drawback about using beef is the time preparation, basically beef is harder to tender than chicken and pork. So most of the time, after sauté, the meat should be continuously cooked in medium heat until it becomes tender. If you have a pressure cooker and you want to decrease the time of cooking, you can get a help from them.
Okay, so let’s prepare the basic ingredients and we will go to our cooking procedure.
Beef Afritada Ingredients
2 lbs Beef, chopped
1 big carrot, cut into wedges
1 big potato, cut into wedges
2 cups tomato sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 ½ cups beef broth
1 cup bell pepper, diced
3 pieces dried bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 big onion, chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil (vegetable or sunflower)
salt to taste
Beef Afritada Cooking Procedure
1) In a pan, heat the cooking oil and sauté the garlic and onions
2) Add the beef and sauté until the outer parts are cooked (approximately 7 minutes). You can decrease the time specified here if you cooked the beef in pressure cooker.
3) Add the tomato sauce, the bay leaves, and then simmer for 5 minutes.
4) Add the ground black pepper then pour-in the broth and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes (or until the meat is tender). You can decrease the time specified here if you cooked the beef in pressure cooker.
5) Put-in the potato and carrots then simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
6) Add the bell pepper and simmer for 3 another minutes
7) Add salt to taste
8) Serve hot with steamed white rice. Enjoy!